A Kerala recipe which is loved by the beef lovers around the word.
I am vegetarian by birth but my husband is a hard core non-veggie and he is a die hard fan of beef repies. My inspiration to prepare this recipe is my mother-in-law who is obviously an expert cook .. would say she is a chef.
Beef VarattiyathuI am vegetarian by birth but my husband is a hard core non-veggie and he is a die hard fan of beef repies. My inspiration to prepare this recipe is my mother-in-law who is obviously an expert cook .. would say she is a chef.Nisha Menon
Beef cut into small pieces-
Thenga kothu - pieces
12 - 14
Cinnamon - roll
Salt as per the taste
To Grind into a coarse paste:
- 1.Cut beef into bite-size pieces and wash them in running water.
- Heat a little oil in a pan. Add Fennel seeds, cardamom, cloves, star anise, peppercorns and cinnamon.Stir well on a low flame.Once the color changes and a good smell of spices come out take out the items on the pan to cool them.Once cooled, powder it in a mixie.(This can be made for future use if you increase the quantity of the spices - heat them in a pan, cool and powder them and store in a clean jar)
- Add the above-mentioned powder to cleaned and washed beef and other powders under To Marinate section.Ensure that the beef is well coated with the mixture and keep it aside for at least 3 minutes.
- Coarse grind the part of the shallots, gingerand garlic and add to the marinated beef and keep aside for half an hour.
- Pressure cook the marinated beef.I added 3 tbsp of water while cooking.It took around 8 whistles for me to get the beef soft.Ensure to open the cooker after 6 whistles if it is cooked as it varies based on the beef.
- In a pan, add2 tbsp coconut oil.once hot add the sliced onions, shallots, curry leaves and saute them.
- When the onions turn golden brown, add the thenga kothu and saute for few minutes.
- Add the cooked beef to the above and deep fry in a low flame.The beef should be cooked and fried slowly under a low flame.
- The beef would start turning into a dark color. At this point you can add 1 tsp of pepper,1 tsp of chili powder (salt if required).Add oil so that it doesn't stick to the pan and stir well if you require a very dried fried beef.