During Onam, Payasam making competition is a common game which everyone add to their games and competition list.I participated in this competition at my office this year.
Honestly, I did not know what to make.I haven't prepared a Payasam before. The participants were all coming from households and all had their moms or mom-in-laws to support.I was the only one who did not have an elder at my house and was really nervous about it.Anyway, I decided to go a for a simple non-conventional payasam. And hence the carrot payasam.
I m really excited that I bagged the second prize in the competition.
- Wash and grate the carrots.
- Heat ghee in a kadaiand saute the grated carrots for around 5 minutes (until the raw smell go away)
- Pulse the sauted carrots in a mixie to a maximum of 3 rounds.Pls take care that it doesn'tbecome a paste.
- Transfer the blended carrots to the same kadai and pour 0.5 glass of boiled milk and let it boil,stirring continuously.The intention is to cook the carrots.
- When the milk gets to become dry, add 0.5 glass more of boiled milk, stirring continuously.
- When the milk startsreducing, add the remaining milk stirring continuously.
- Ensure to keep a low flame while stirring.
- If you take 2 glass of milk, it should be reduced to 1 glass during the preparation.
- Add cardamom powder when you switch off the flame.Transfer to the bowls for serving.
- Stirring continuously is the key to this recipe.To enhance taste, you can opt to add condensed milk.To enhance color, you can add 2 saffron strands during step 6.