Puttu is one of the favorite dish of the Keralites. I believe every Malayali household prepares puttu once a week either as breakfast or as dinner.In south Kerala, bolied green gram is chosen as the accompaniment.The Malabaris opt its curry form.The green gram curry with papad would be the best accompaniment for Puttu.
Grind to paste
- Grind the grated coconut, cumin seeds, and slit green chilli into a thick paste using littlewater and keep aside.
- Wash and soak the green gram for atleast one hour.Pressure cook the green gram for 5 whistles.If you did not have time to soak the gram in water, the pressure cooking time will be more.You have to cook for 9 to 10 whistles.Check if the dal is cooked.
- Chop Onions into small pieces .
- Heat a little of coconut oil in a pan.Toss in the chopped onions and saute until it becomes transparent.Add the minced ginger and garlic and saute well along with the onions.
- Add the Turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilly powder and mix well over the flame.
- Add the pressure cooked dal along with the water you get while boiling to the pan and let it boil for a few minutes.If you find water to be less, add more water to the mixture.
- Now add the coconut paste to the above and stir well and simmer the flame for 6 -7 minutes.let it begin to boil.Add the salt and half of curry leaves.Check the spice level and add if required.Turn off the flame.
- Temper using the ingredients and the remaining curry leaves under "To Temper".
- Serve while hot.