A kerala special - Kalan is a very simple dish .It could be made using ripe plantain or Ripe Mango.You can see this recipe being prepared in every part of Palakkad and Thrissur on every occasion.This recipe also holds a place in the Onam Sadya.
I felt like having ripe mango kalan. Since the mango season over. I made it using ripe plantain which I had over my kitchen counter for some days.It is over ripe actually-but it doesn't matter.You know what - I had Idly with Kalan for breakfast.The pic is not really not great.I just took it when I hurrying to office.I will update it later on.
For grinding to a paste
- Make a paste of the ingredients under for grinding to a paste and keep aside using little water .Do not pour whole of the water while grinding.Use first a little water and gring and later on add a little more and so on.
- Cut the banana into medium sized chunks and boil in a kadai or bowl using water for about a maximum of 7 minutes.Add turmeric and chilly powder while boiling.Adjust the chilly powder based on your taste.
- Add the ground paste the above-boiled mixture and let it simmer for another 2 mins.
- Add curd and mix well to the above.At this stage the curry should not be boiled.It should be heated just to blend all the ingredients.
- Add salt as required and Switch off the flame.
- Season using the ingredients under For tempering section.